About the field of action
Wood energy plays an important role as a source of energy for heating and cooking in Serbia. This applies especially to rural areas with no access to gas distribution network or district heating systems. Nearly 70% of the wood on the market is used as fuel wood and more than 40% of households are using solid fuels (mostly fuel wood or fuel wood combined with coal). In some municipalities, this share can be as high as 90%. Therefore, it is important to improve the efficiency of fuel wood utilization for heating and cooking in order to avoid depletion of woody biomass resources and, at the same time, to increase disposable income of households using wood as fuel.
This field of action aims to enhance efficient utilization of wood fuels in private households in the selected pilot regions. Our team plans to develop a set of recommendations for end-consumers in order to ensure improved efficiency in use of firewood in households. In addition, measures for introducing more efficient heating/cooking devices will be developed and implemented.
During the course of the project, the team will focus its efforts and resources on three compatible areas of activities with intent to enhance efficient utilization of wood fuels.
Objectives of activities can be summarized as follows:
- to promote efficient utilization of wood fuels to different target groups;
- to contribute to the development of the sustainable market for wood fuels and wood-based heating/cooking technologies, and;
- to enhance the enabling environment.
Activities which will lead to achievement of intended results can be summarized as follows:
1. Promotion of efficient utilization of wood fuels and wood-based technologies
- Assessment of the current situation in respect to the utilization of fuel wood in households in selected regions, as well as the efficiency of heating / cooking technologies currently in use;
- Preparation of recommendations for efficient use of wood fuels based on the assessed gap between the current use and best practices
- Promotion of efficient utilization of wood fuels through awareness campaign organized in the pilot regions
2. Development of a sustainable market for wood fuels and wood-based heating and cooking technologies
- Assessment of the market for wood fuels and wood-based heating and cooking technologies including distribution channels and availability of high-quality wood fuels and more efficient technologies
- Improvement of availability and quality of wood fuels
- Improvement of availability of more efficient wood-based heating and cooking technologies
- Improvement of an uptake of more efficient products
3. Enhancement of enabling environment for wood fuels and wood-based heating and cooking technologies
- Review of existing policies and provision of legal advice with respect to harmonization with the EU regulations in this particular field
- Provision of support to the Institute for Standardization in translating the relevant EU standards related to biofuels and wood-based heating / cooking technologies
- Strengthening capacities of selected institutions, so that they can implement recommended changes in the regulative framework and provide adequate advice to end-consumers
- Improvement of quality infrastructure required for placement of high-quality wood fuels and more efficient wood-based technologies on the local market through technical assistance provided to selected laboratories for testing of wood fuels and wood-based heating / cooking devices
Bože Jankovića 39, 11000 Belgrade, Serbia
+381 113912 507 ext.129
A consortium of E4tech and Quiddita is in charge for the project implementation on behalf of the GIZ DKTI programme.
E4tech is a globally operating strategic consultancy focused on sustainable energy with offices in London and Lausanne. Since 1997 E4tech has helped industry, government, investors and others understand the global opportunities and challenges of clean energy. Among other areas, E4tech has in-depth expertise in the bioenergy sector. Their highly experienced staff focus on both conventional and novel bioenergy types, and understanding how policy and sustainability issues can affect bioenergy uptake in different markets. E4tech provides strategy, policy, and technology advice to a wide range of clients worldwide.
Quiddita d.o.o. is a privately owned company founded in 2007 in Belgrade. The company’s business focus is on information technologies, design and engineering.